The Best Pick in Virginia…for entertainment, for recreation, for business!
Nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Southwest Virginia on the Carroll-Grayson county line, Galax is an independent city with a population of 6,670 that occupies a land area of eight square miles (21 square kilometers).
- Located nine miles west of I-77
- Served by U.S. highways 58/221 and 52 along with Virginia 89
- 82 miles southwest of Roanoke and 68 miles northwest of Winston-Salem, NC
- Elevation of 2,340 – 2,980 feet
The city was incorporated in 1906 when a branch from the Norfolk &Western railroad came through along the Chestnut Creek. Today, those railroad tracks have evolved into the New River Trail State Park, an idyllic meandering biking, walking, and equestrian trail that runs 57 miles through Southwest Virginia. Galax offers a plethora of indoor and outdoor activities:
- Galax Recreation Center
- Galax Municipal Golf Course
- Community Outdoor Pool
- Tennis Courts
- Skateboard Park
- Several Parks, Playgrounds, and Walking Paths
Galax enjoys a high quality of life but low cost of living. Our city is fortunate to be the commercial and professional hub of the region. We appreciate the self sufficiency that comes with a small city government, independent school system, and a robust entrepreneurial spirit. The City of Galax is eager to welcome new industry and relocating businesses with Enterprise Zone Grants and local incentives. The Wired Road Broadband Project will soon service the region with a fiber-optic network increasing our area’s viability for high-tech industry.
Our residents have access to the services and opportunities available in larger communities. Galax boasts media outlets, educational advantages, and is home to the healthcare provider of choice for regional residents.
Twin County Regional Healthcare
- Promoting, Preserving and Restoring the health of our community for nearly 35 years
- 141-bed facility that includes acute care, ambulatory care and emergency services
- One of the few hospitals left that is stand-alone and not for profit
The Galax Gazette Newspaper
- Published Monday, Wednesday, and Friday each week
- Covering the area for over 100 years
98.1 FM Blue Ridge Country
- 100,000 Watt radio station located in Galax
- Coverage includes much of Virginia and North Carolina, including the densely populated areas of Roanoke and the Piedmont
- Triad, as well as parts of West Virginia and Tennessee
- Boasts 5,000 song playlist spanning over 50 years and is one of the few 100,000 watt stations that takes requests
- Broadcasts the live radio show at the historic Rex Theater every Friday night and offers streaming music and news online.
Blue RidgeMusic Center
- An outdoor amphitheater and indoor interpretive center used to highlight an important strand of American musical culture, which is still alive and thriving in the region
- Operated through a partnership between the National Park Service and the National Council for the Traditional Arts
- Live performances May – October, 7 days a week.
- Boasts walking trails for nature lovers
Galax City Public Schools
- Galax City Public Schools are comprised of an elementary, middle, and high school.
- All are accredited by the VA Department of Education and Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
- The High School has recently undergone a $7.96 million renovation project.
- Our district enjoys a progressive school board, a supportive community, and is ranked 3rd in the state for the high percentage of students attending post-secondary education.
Blue Ridge Crossroads Institute
- Provides location for the satellite campus of Wytheville Community College
- Also houses the small business incubator, Southwest Regional Enterprise Center
- One of the first facilities nationwide that fosters economic development with continued education in the same location.
- Provides a setting for community meetings, seminars, and small conventions.
Chestnut Creek School of the Arts
- Preserves and promotes the cultural heritage of southwest Virginia by fostering artistic and individual growth through classes in visual and performing arts, heritage and contemporary craft, and traditional music
- Offers weekend hobby classes to several week long, in-depth tutorials from masters of their craft.